Monday, April 14, 2008

Week 6 - Bun Run Report, Calendar, and Partial Retraction of Bun Run Report

OK, so I don't post as much on here, because I do most of it by email. Anyone looking in on us thinks we're just lame and content-less, so I'll at least start mirroring the emails on here...

1. Tomorrow's workout - We meet at Whole Foods at 6pm. We'll be running over in Clarksville again, a workout cheekily named "The Quagmire". I'd explain why, but it will probably require beers.

2. The calendar - Last Thursday's and Saturday's workouts didn't show up on the calendar - I should have checked it again. On the other hand, no one really said, "Hey, I want to run, but there's nothing on the calendar..." Hmm?

3. Bun Run - Sharon and Laura (and Laura's boyfriend) made it out to the Bun Run Sunday morning, and much butt was kicked. The race was generally fast, but broke down to a really crowded first mile, a couple of really challenging hills in the middle mile, and then a blazing fast downhill for the last mile.

Laura finished her very first 5K in a very nice 33:05.

Sharon ran the entire 5K, her first without any walking, and at the end, she picked up the pace a couple of times, and really had a nice run in to the finish.

I made a last-minute decision to run it, out of curiosity about the course, and feeling like I might get bored just hanging out until everyone finished. With the slow, crowded first mile, and my slightly out-of-ideal-shapedness, I was able to wrangle a second-best out of it.

The only other Spiridon result to report (that I know of) was marathoner Jean Conover, who had registered to run the race, and was reported by her husband, Bill, to still be in bed at about half an hour before the race. Soon after I published the report via email, I received this from the Conover campaign office:
HEY! That report is FALSE! I made it to the race at 7:45, registered and ran in true Spiridon fashion, even sporting my Spiridon shirt! I'm timed, so if you doubt, check the records! :) I think I ran in just over 30mins (can't get under that damn 10min mile!), but haven't seen the results yet. Bill told me he saw you earlier. I was looking for you at the start line! Didn't have your phone number with me though. Lost all my contacts in my old broken phone....

So, that was just a small sample of what's to come. Everyone's progressing really nicely, and I'm confident that we can all run the Round-Up 5K at the end of the month. If you aren't feeling some progress, or you're frustrated by the pace of it, let me know. The key, of course, is consistency - keep making it to the workouts, keep running your solo runs.

No slacking!

No comments: