Saturday, October 10, 2009

chop wood. carry water. run.

OK. Bedding down a little later than I'd like. This morning, looking at the start/finish area, and the people getting last easy runs in (I did not), I felt that the condition of my body and my heart didn't merit my being here. This should be more than a matter of showing up: you should feel a kinship based in shared experience and faith. 

But as the day went on, I remembered that: first, I worked really hard for almost six months in nasty conditions; and second, that tomorrow, at the start, the slate would be clean, and all that would matter would be how hard I chose to try during the 26.2 miles ahead. The failures of this summer and my lack of running in the past several weeks will be challenges to face, dragons laying in wait in my body and my mind and my heart.

I have to believe that my heart will push my body and mind to respond to the challenges. That's why we do this.  

So now, I just sleep, and in 9.5 hours, I just run. Chop wood. Carry water. Run.  

No comments: