Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Big, Exciting Stuff

OK, I have two bits of extremely exciting news.

The first is that the folks at Conley Sports, the group that organizes the AT&T Austin Marathon, are sponsoring a guest speaker for Team Spiridon: Dick Beardsley, one of the greatest marathoners ever, American or otherwise.

He'd like to come speak to us, and take a short run with us, not necessarily in that order. His weekends are packed, so a weeknight would be ideal. I really want everyone to attend - this is a fantastic opportunity for each of us, and for this group. I'll be figuring out a way to consult everyone on scheduling so we can get the best turnout.

The other big news is still in progress, but we're working on getting a fantastic new movie, "Spirit of the Marathon", to Austin at the Alamo Drafthouse for Marathon Weekend, possibly in conjunction with the Dick Beardsley Foundation. I'm hoping that Team Spiridon will be able to play a very visible role as a sponsor of the event.

Just the trailer is an incredibly inspiring work of art. I've been waiting over a year, and stayed in touch with the filmmakers, anxious to see the finished product. The name has changed (the trailer below still has the original, very cool title, "Land of the Gods"). It's being premiered at the Chicago Marathon in October, which is appropriate because that's the marathon the movie centers around. As much as I want to run a couple of new marathons next year, watching this so makes me want to go back to Chicago...

If this trailer alone doesn't stir something in you, then something is very, very wrong with you, and you should seek help before you start torturing small animals. Oh, and, I want to mention - watch this (at least) once for effect, then watch it again to observe the runners. All except for one exhibit the proper arm motion, particularly Deena Kastor. Watch how her arms pull back, then glide forward. Look how relaxed and smooth the motion is...

4 comments:

dr mel said...

This is great, Rob. Thanks for posting.

carmen said...

what are 4 strides? I see I am supposed to be doing them.

Rob said...

Oh, Carmen... see the new post. :)

carmen said...

Thanks, I laughed when I saw it. I must of missed a session when you said this or else I was talking to Jacala! But see I am reading the calendar!