Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Ten Minute Info Session

"The database needs to be down for no more than ten minutes, for maintenance."

So, what can I tell you guys in ten minutes... hmm...

Let's talk about cross training and core training. I've been severely remiss in not ever clearly explaining to everyone what the heck "cross training" on the schedule means.

For us, cross-training means any athletic activity, preferably low- to no-impact. Diversifying your training will not only help your running, but will keep throwing different levels and types of exertion at your body (and mind). It'll keep weight loss ticking along better than running alone will, and it is probably essential in injury prevention. Cross training is important in just about every sport. In basketball, players like Jordan and, hate him though I do, Karl Malone, were able to remain freakishly injury free for 14, 15, 16 years of playing 100 games a season (I'm counting playoffs) because they lifted weights, and they worked on their flexibility. Karl Malone was an avid mountain-biker.

So, here's a quick run-down of things you can and should do:

Core training: Core training is sort of a fitness fashion, but a valid one, not a Thighmaster. People have always worked their abs and their backs and chests, but often missed the refinement of working some other less obvious, or less sexily visible, muscle groups that are just as important. In running, if your core is weak, your form is going to fail, especially as fatigue sets in. Phillip has suggested we incorporate core training into our workouts, and I'm looking into that. In the meantime, though, if you're a member of a gym, I'd be willing to bet they have a core class. Ron Perry teaches some core classes through Rogue - eight classes for $64, and they meet on Monday nights from 6-7.

Yoga: Flexibility is a good thing. Again, forgive my basketball talk, but Kareem Abdul Jabbar credits his longevity as a basketball player to the flexibility and balance yoga gave him. And again, it's bound to be good for that core strength, too.

Weightlifting: The photos from my first half marathon tell a story. A funny, ugly, painful story. At mile 12, my shoulders are nonexistent, my arms are dangling a bit, and I'm struggling to keep my head up. I'm a fairly strong guy, but I wasn't lifting weights at the time, and aside from just some general energy problems, I just lacked the strength to get me through two and a half hours of running. You don't have to do a lot - once a week, for an hour, will make a tremendous difference. If you want to know more about what to do, let me know. I'll even come to the gym with you and run you through things, if you like.

Swimming: My friend Holly and I were, for a while, pretty evenly matched, with me just having an edge in a sprint. She was a swimmer growing up, and last summer, she increased her swimming regimen, and at the 3m Half Marathon in January, she blew away her previous half marathon with probably some juice to spare. No impact, but if you have a tweaked joint, you want to be careful - you can still exert some pressure on it.

Cardio machines: Always a good way to mix things up, with a couple of warnings, though. First, an elliptical or stairclimber machine have no actual impact, but there's still pressure. I think a lot of people rehabbing an ankle, foot, knee or hip will hit the elliptical, thinking they've eliminated impact. Just because rubber isn't slapping asphalt (kinda sounds kinky) doesn't mean you're not still loading up your bones, joints and muscles. I also think having your feet planted on a grippy pad can keep the leg joints from rotating and moving in natural directions, which can tweak a knee or a hip. If you need to be careful with impact, or on your cross training day in general, you're safer swimming or possibly biking or rowing.

Cycling: Coaches differ on how good cycling is for runners. I think that depends on the individual's strength and mechanics. At our level, it's a great way to build stamina and strength without a lot of impact (just don't crash... see Vicky for advice on that). It sure didn't seem to hurt Lance, and that concept of cadence and even the cycling motion probably made returning to running a lot easier for him.

Sports: Tennis, basketball, jai-alai, are all great, but just realize that you run the risk of use or sudden trauma injuries that can jeopardize your running. Last July, I decided to go play a little ball. I reached down to pick up the ball, and tweaked my hamstring. It's been tight and sore for over a year now. This says more about the need for flexibility and stretching and not being stupid than it does about basktball, but you get the point.

OK, back to work. Any questions?

No comments: