Friday, August 8, 2008

Jenn Squishes San Fran Hills!

As seen on ESPN and "The View", Jenn completed her first half marathon out in San Francisco last Sunday. Here, by her own hand, is the much-awaited report. OK, the first part is probably not by her own hand, unless she's gunning for a job with S.F.'s Convention and Visitors Bureau Propaganda Department:

Photos of me: (I think I found every single photographer on the course) http://www.marathonfoto.com/index.cfm?RaceOID=27892008M1&LastName=LANG&BibNumber=24293&Mailing=16254

CourseNote: The Second Half Marathon Course runs a separate loop from the Full Marathon Course between Miles 1 and 2. Otherwise, the Second Half Marathon Course is the same as the second half of the Full Marathon.

The start line is located at 36th and John F. Kennedy Dr just North of Rhododendron Island. Starting just footsteps away from Spreckels Lake, watch as children of all ages play with their remote control sailboats. Once you've started your race, be sure to greet the Bison as you pass them on your right. This course takes you through the beauty of Golden Gate Park. As you run around Stow Lake, you will find the waterfall and pagoda awaiting your arrival. Running towards the city streets, pass by the Rose Garden and take one last glimpse at the Conservatory of Flowers.

Run back in time to experience the 60s once more. See Sharon Meadows, home of the free rock concerts and run through the Alvord Lake Tunnel before arriving in the legendary Haight Ashbury District. Transition from the 60s to the Latino flavor of the Mission District. Run by the produce marts and taquerias as you make your way towards the Potrero District and into the developing Mission Bay/China Basin District. Here you will see warehouses, old shipyards, and the new UCSF Medical campus.

For the final stretch of the race, run along the promenade behind AT&T Park, home of the San Francisco Giants. Run under the Bay Bridge and head straight for the Cupid's Arrow where you will be greeted with the finish line. The course ends along the waterfront on the Embarcadero at Folsom.

There were a couple of reasons for picking the second half to run: 1. we got to sleep in until 6:30 instead of running 2. it was a bit more flat, and the steeper hills were down hills 3. I didn't have to run over the Golden Gate Bridge (while Penelope thought that would be cool, I don't like being on bridges, especially ones that big and over that much cold water :-) )

Friday night we met up with some of Penelope's awesome friends for some great Cajun food at Cajun Pacific. It is a restaurant in a house, fits maybe 20 people max in Outer Sunset. There I met Sue, who was nice enough to pick up my bib and shirt. I am sure if I had gone to the expo, I would have walked way too much, and be tempted to buy new shoes :-) When we got back home, I immediately put my race bib on my shirt. I had to make sure it was perfect. Penelope couldn't help but laugh at me. (It wouldn't be the last time she laughed at me due to the race.)

Saturday night I packed my bag with my long sleeved shirt, yoga pants, and hoodie. (I wasn't sure that I would need the hoodie. It was quite warm in San Francisco that day, like mid to high 70's) By Sunday morning, I decided I didn't need the hoodie, so I took it out. I made a wonderful breakfast of toast with peanut butter around 7:00. The race would start at 8:20. Around 7:30, Alex came by to tape up Penelope's knee and drop us off at the start (Thank you so much Alex!!!!) We got to the park around 8:00 or so, dropped off our bags, and got in the 3rd wave group. We tired looking for Sue, but couldn't find her. The night before, it got much cooler, the temp was a perfect for running - low to mid 50's.

Penelope and I started off running together, but I knew she was going to be faster then me. I kept up for a few 100 feet, but then remembered that if I went out too fast now, it would add on much more time later. I dropped back to my pace, about a 12:00 min/mile.

Since we were joining in on the full marathon race, there was a water station at the first mile.I didn't' need water or the sport drink, but I stopped anyway and took both, because, not only did they have that, they had beer! And really, it wasn't enough that I was wearing my Team Spiridon shirt, I had to truly represent the team out there - and took the shot of beer :-)

By the time I got to mile 1.7 and over the first mat, I was feeling really good. My legs were not cramping at all, which they usually do by mile 2. I don't know how much of that was due to the massage I had on Wednesday, all the water I drank the rest of the week, the cooler temps, and/or the fact that I wasn't out drinking the night before. I'm thinking it was all the massage. By mile 2 I was warmed up, and took off my hat. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it for the next 11 miles. I tried putting it in my back pocket but that didn't work, so I ended up strapping it on to my shirt sleeve.

Between mile 4 and 5, the first half marathoners were finishing. They had some extra bananas for the full marathoners, and us. I thought about taking one, but decided I didn't really need it, and didn't need to risk upsetting my stomach. I was feeling fine taking both the water and sport drink every two miles.

We were in the park for the first 6 miles. It is a beautiful park, but by mile 4 I was pretty tired of running through it. I wanted to get on the actual streets of San Fran. About mile 5 the 2:30 pace group caught up with me (I was ahead of them for a while). I decided to pick up my pace and try to run with them (all for you JD) I ran with them for about a whole mile down Haight. I lost them on one of the alternate routes. (in order to keep the foot traffic manageable, they had runners run on different streets). Also, once out of the park, I got to run some hills. I ran up all of the hills. Most of them were comparable to hills here in Austin. there was only one steep hill, not as steep as Wilke, but still substantial. I liked that hill the best, because, well, it was downhill :-)

While on Haight I noticed there were trivia signs every few hindered feet. There were things like, "who was the founder of the Sierra Club?" answer "John Muir." It really helped keep the wall at bay. I also saw a guy from Texas. Some of you may wonder, "how did she know he was from Texas?" Well who else by a Texan would run in Texas flag running shorts (I really need to get a pair). I talked to him for a bit. He was running the full marathon. He had just run one 3 weeks earlier in Montana. He's been running a marathon a month since November of 2007. His goal is to run one in every state. Unfortunately, he had already run one in California earlier, but his friends wanted to do the half, so he came out with them. There were one or two live bands out there, and then some DJ's playing music. One thing that really surprised me where the number of people who were running by me with their ipods on so loud, I could hear their music. Yes Rob, I was running with mine, so I could use the Nike+ feature, but I had the music so low, I could hear other's music. That and about mile 4 I was tired of listen to my music, so I had taken out my earphones.

We stayed on Haight for a mile and half and then turned right on Buchanan for block, then a left on Herman and another right on Guerrero. That put me close to the 8 mile mark, where I went ahead and took my Advil to keep the aches down, and ate my Luna Moons (that seems redundant, but that's what they are called.) At mile 8, took a left on 16th Street and headed towards the bay. At this point I knew I was more than half way done and still felt good and relaxed. However, by mile 9 I was noticing I had blisters on both my feet. Right on the balls of my feet. It now hurt with every step I ran, so I walked a little more. Walking was okay. I was still around the same group I had been with for most of the race. My pace was still steady. I knew if I would run, it would be over quicker, so I ran through the pain, and when I couldn't I walked. I knew I was good on my time.

When I got to mile 11, we were along the bay. All I wanted to do was walk the rest of the route. And I think I would have, if it hadn't been for all the photographers. I was thinking, "I will not be caught walking on film, its bad enough I was caught with the headphones." So I ran. We ran around the SF Giants Stadium. This was my least favorite part of the race. We were now off the street and running on concrete. To make maters worse, it wasn't even level. I don't know if that is how it was designed, or due to an earthquake, regardless, it wasn't fun.

After running around the Stadium, there was just one more mile left! I dug deep, found the energy and finished strong. At one point I saw some women who had just finished the full marathon. They were wearing there medals. I noticed they were 4 times larger than the one I would be getting. I decided then, that I would definitely be doing the full next year!

After crossing the line, I received my first (hopefully of many) Mylar sheets and then my medal. I went through the line to get my food, and water, and electrolyte replacement drinks and then over to pick up my bag. It took them a while to find it, but I was so happy when I was able to put on my long sleeved shirt. The sun hadn't broken through the clouds at all. That was okay while we were running, but it was now cold. I made my over to the ferry building to find Penelope to go back home. We caught the tram and then had to hike a few blocks to her place. That was okay, but she lives at the top of a hill, a hill comparable to Wilke here in Austin. That wasn't too fun.

The original post-race plan was to shower, take a nap then head down to LA. Penelope had to visits some sites down there. After were got all clean, we decided we still had energy, so we skipped the nap and head South. Six and half hours later, we were in Anaheim. So, for those of you wondering, sitting in a car for 6 1/2 hours, not really a good thing after running 13.1 miles, especially if you already are prone to tightness in your calves. We get to the hotel, and check in. I literally limp/gimp my way to the front desk and then to the room. Penelope of course is laughing at me. I think the front desk staff was laughing at me, I was even laughing at me. How was I going to go to the, "Happiest place on Earth," the next day, if I couldn't even walk to my room? The next morning, my legs were a little better, not much but better. So we ate breakfast, and then Penelope dropped me off at Disneyland - where I spent the whole day walking around and riding all the rides. I can't think of a better way to celebrate running my first half marathon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't laugh at you THAT much! Thanks for coming out! Where are we running next? :)

Unknown said...

Congrats Jenn! Way to represent Texas by shooting beer on the route. P'shaw! to all the training--I'm sure that's what got you through. :)