Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Stretchy Question

So, file this New York Times Magazine piece with the earth-shaking exposes that leave you thinking... "meh". However, it's good food for thought, and a good springboard for a quick discussion of stretching.

The article cites a study by USA Track and Field, and I'll bottom-line it for you: static stretching (holding a position for a period of time) before running doesn't seem to have an impact on the incidence of injury. Over three months, 16% of the stretchy group had an injury that sidelined them for at least a week, and 16% of the group that stood around and chatted instead of stretching before runs had similar levels of injuries.

This doesn't change, well, anything for us. I generally don't stretch before a run, and I never ask you to, unless for some reason I'm really tight, or I'm about to run really fast (which almost never happens, anyway). Basketball players stretch because they are going to be using bursts of speed and need to be sure the muscles are warm and flexible, especially playing in a chilly arena.

But as local physical therapist Alan Besselink once pointed out, if you're running in Texas, especially in August, you're pretty much warm when you step out of your car.

What I'm pretty sure everyone is still in favor of is stretching after your runs, and I think most runners can attest from personal experience that it makes a difference. Periods where I have been at least marginally diligent about stretching, my running improved (don't care about speed? Then, read that as, "got a lot easier."). The chronic tightness in my hamstrings that has, well, hamstrung my running for the last couple of years is entirely a matter of not stretching well after runs.

If nothing else, make sure you stretch your hamstrings, quads, and calves after all your runs. If you can through in your IT band and, um, groinular area, that is even better. And, because we invariably leave the run, go sit crunched-up in a car, then crunched-up at a desk or on the couch, stretch again two to three hours later.

We will work this season to do more dynamic, rather than static, stretching, but get in the habit now. And, if you're around or talking to me after I've run with you, feel free to order me to stretch, too...

No comments: