Saturday, October 13, 2007

Proof

Finally...

So, with the handing out of our new shirts this morning, our logo was officially unveiled. Though it was wonderfully rendered by a good friend's dad, from a design found by Eve, I know it's not incredibly creative. But the heart, the fire, and the wings are all images that are meaningful to what we are and what we do. Plus, it looks both pretty, and slightly gangsta.

There was, however, a noticeable dearth of comments or questions about the tagline on the back: "I will be proof."

Months ago, when just a few of you were running with me, and really, keeping me running and from crawling into a hole well-stocked with various beers and Tex-Mex entrees, it was hard to separate the act of running from recent events, and the loss of a community that I had made so much a part of my life.

There was sadness, and some runs were fueled by mixes of anger and a desire to leave everything behind me, and over the music in my iPod, I could hear Eddie Vedder screaming "saw things so much clearer, once you were in my rearview mirror."

Thinking about what was began to shift into thinking about what could have been, and that into what could be. I had an initial idea to call the group Mettle, and I envisioned posters advertising us, saying, "Prove Yourself." Mettle just didn't sound right, even though it captured what I think is important about what we do as runners.

But the idea of this as a vehicle for us to prove ourselves stuck. It's hardly a novel idea, but I think people lose sight of what makes running a noble endeavor that can resonate throughout our lives - the fact that no matter what level we're at, we are testing ourselves, and putting ourselves in situations that will require us to answer some very fundamental questions about who we are, and whether our belief in our better selves is stronger than pain and inconvenience.

Every time you make the choice to get out and run, you have proven something about yourself. Any time you choose the harder path, because it has a heart, you're proving something about yourself. If we can make these choices when we're running, then hopefully, we'll see it's not about a race, or being tough or macho or athletic - it's about our willingness to do the hard things because they have a real value, and because they say something about who we are. If we realize that, then hopefully, we do the same things in the rest of our lives. If we're willing to run the literal extra miles, maybe we'll be willing to go the figurative extra miles to help someone out, or do the right thing for others or ourselves, even though it's not easy or comfortable or the most profitable, because on any given day, over and over, we are faced with the chances to be proof, of ourselves, and of what we claim to believe in.

That kind of proof is first and foremost for ourselves, not for the judgement of everyone around us. But insofar as we live among people who will question and judge our character, then yes, we want our actions to be proof for them, as well.

Recently, I had a meeting with someone who had been a very prominent figure in my previous incarnation as a coach and as a runner, someone who first hired me to coach, and who taught me a good deal about how to be an effective coach, something I remain thankful for. He questioned a lot about what I'm doing, as a person, and as a coach, but he kept repeating, "Well, the proof will be in the pudding," which almost made me laugh, because in one stroke, it referenced my personal blog, and my focus on proof.

I do worry a little that people will see our shirts and think that this is all about proving a point to him, and to some other people. Whatever. I'm quickly re-learning that people are going to think what they want, and it just doesn't matter.

The truth is all that matters, and one way or the other, we will shape the truth of who we are, individually, and as a team. I promise you I'll continue working hard to do that as a coach. Today, and tomorrow, and for the next five months, and on race day, and the days and years after that, you will be proof, I will be proof, and Team Spiridon will be proof, of ourselves, and of the things that are important. That's what I want us all to commit to, and that's all that really matters.

Sorry to be preachy. But this is important. So, let's hear it in the comments - what do you want to be proof of?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, so here's a comment. I was kind of hoping that someone else would start, but no one did. So, I'll say something because I think it is important to be proof of something. For me, the process that I am going through with the running is proof that I am alive. I mean, so many times in my life I feel like I am not really present. I disassociate often. Kind of like I am sleep walking or dreaming my way through things. The running (or shuffling or whatever it is called that I do) is way out of my comfort zone. It forces me to be present, because I have to be in order to keep on going. I feel my legs ache and my breath getting heavy. It reminds me that I am alive, and that I am here, now, in this moment. Nothing else matters when I am shuffling along, but trying to finish. With each step, I erase a bad memory of things that went wrong in my life. Each step matters. I prove to myself that I can do something hard that is not pleasant. I am awake, and I am alive, and that is the proof that I need.

carmen said...

"The proof is in the pudding" to me suggests someone doubting you or challenging you. And I know about that.

My slogan would be "Believe It" or simply "Believe." My ex-boyfriend had a response to me whenever I said anything that resembled a dream or an aspiration on my part to be more than I am. His standard response was "I'll believe it when I see it." I'm going to do really well in Real Estate. "I'll believe it when I see it." I'm going to realize my dreams and help you realize all your dreams "I'll believe it when I see it." I'm going to run 3 miles, 5 miles, maybe more, "I'll believe it when I see it."

Now I will give him some credit, it is good to be practical, pragmatic, a realist. And yes it takes hard work, patience, dedication, mistakes, even failure All facts I experience or think about when I go out there and run. And some days I'm not sure I believe it at all, but I go out there anyway. Call it faking, acting, practice or a moving meditation.

But really how can you fly if your feet are chained firmly to the ground? And in running, in that split second when both feet are off the ground to me that is flying.

I believe that to imagine it is the first step, if you can't even imagine it, how can you manifest it? How can you do more, be more, if you can't dream it.? Soar first if your mind's eye and your body will follow. So see it because you believe it. Be the proof.

Phillip said...

I run to prove that Blue water ROCKS!! Blue water RULES. Did you hear why they had to cancel the Chicago Marathon? Too much red water and not enough BLUE water! Consider this the dropping of the gauntlet to all red water likers -- watch your back on future runs!

Seriously, though, not to be too zen about it, but I run to prove absolutely nothing. I run because I do not have to prove anything to anyone or anything about my running --too much of life is revolving around things we have to prove and I relish my running time when I can "park" all those types of issues and just "be." At least that is where I hope to be, even at mile 25 of the marathon (or maybe mile 12 of the demi).

Rob said...

I'm glad you guys are posting.

And Phillip, I was hoping you would, because this is something like what I thought you'd say.

It's easy for me to load running up too much with meaning, when I wouldn't want it to be that way for everyone. Even I spend plenty of time in that zone of just being out there, doing the run. I like that that's your approach, and it's a big reason I like having you in our group so much - that's a good influence on me, and everyone...

Sprezzatist said...

Well, I think that by us getting out there is proof that we take control of our well being, our health, and well...just the overall quality of our lives. Physical fitness is the best health insurance policy out there. Proof to that!